Sunday, February 12, 2006

FIlm School Memory


In film school I directed a film... The editor (who was beyond crazy and quit school that day) tore apart the film and threw it around the editing room. This is particularly bad because when editing film you are taping bits of ribbon together and it someone tears it up... it isn't fun to put it back together. I had to sleep on a row of chairs a couple nights straight to get the film edited on time.. Krista Peach was editing next door with Bob Massa. She made me this to cheer me up. I am moving soon and stumbled across it today. It reminded me of a lot of laughing... difficult days... but good ones. Made me miss everyone on it and wonder how they are. Some I keep in touch with and know they are well. Others... I have no idea... film school ended and we went our separate ways. We were a funny group. We spent so much time together... but then evaporated because the glue that held us together was school. Stupid really...

7 comments:

Blandy Snorhal said...

I hate to break it to you, but I'm pretty sure I'm not the one that made that. Not that I wouldn't have, mind you, but I think I would have spelled my name right on the first try. I suspect Shelley.

Blandy Snorhal said...

P.S. That film tear up was still one of the craziest breakdowns I've ever witnessed! And remember when she left thousands of dollars of equipment in the hallway because she didn't want to share the editting room with the film crew? Hilarious! Good times.

Anonymous said...

I'll never fathom how you put that film back together.

Moving?

?

Anonymous said...

My enduring memory is of you coming into that big classroom at the front one day, put some moving images set to music on a screen, which included some fishes swimming, and me thinking, thank god, someone who might understand. And you were. And you are.

(And you take a mean snap too ; )

Michael Edmondson said...

Shelley... ya. There was three. One said "from Shelly", one was of a house from you saying "may the sun always fall on your back" and I had a false memory of the last one being done by you... Looking at it now... I was sooooo not done by you and soooooo done by Shelley..... I feel dumb.

Lucia... Still the craziest person I ever met... hands.... down.... Remember how it took months for us to all realize what a nut job she was. We were doing the dramas before we put her stories together with reality.

Blandy Snorhal said...

I was stuck with her for the documentary pitch thing so right from the get go I was a little concerned with the level of mentalness occurring around me. I thought something was being lost in translation. Turns out something was being lost in chromosomes.

Michael Edmondson said...

Funny, I thought the same thing when making "Operation Crap" and figured we just were not understanding each other. It wasn't until she demanded my editing room key back at the computers (with you right there) after the equipment was in the edit suite.... how it was an issue with chromosomes.

I'm moving to Yaletown into a match box... with a hot tub on the same floor. I'll be more in the middle of things. Should be great.